In this newsletter… Summer reading list, Ladies of Scotland books on sale, and a short interview with Medieval romance author, Terri Brisbin about her new book!
Summer is here, it’s hot, and with the world still social distancing, cooling off by the water or in the evening shade with a book has become one of my favorite pastimes. When I’m not helping my little ones with their reading, I’ve started chipping away at my own summer reading list! I’m currently reading The Socialite a WWII historical novel and romance, and before that, I diverged from romance and devoured The Widows of Malabar Hill, a mystery set in 1920s India. I sooo recommend it! Also on my list before my kids’ schooling takes over my days again are:
- The Rebel Wears Plaid – Eliza Knight
- Highland Conquest – Heather McCollum
- The Daughter of Sienna – Marina Fiorato
- The Yankee Widow – Linda Lael Miller
What are you reading right now? Do you recommend it? Send me a message through my contact page to tell me why by clicking here, and I’ll feature your recommendation in my next newsletter!
But First, News, and a Book Sale!
- Expect pre-order links up soon for both of my Scottish historical romances! It might be another month or two, but you’ll be the first to know!
- Don’t miss out on this amazing sale from Entangled Publishing! If you missed the deal on An Earl for the Archeress, have no fear. Both it, and its sister book, The Maiden’s Defender, are marked down to $0.99 until this coming Monday only. The Maiden’s Defender has NEVER been on sale before, so if you read the first book, make sure to grab this one, too! Click on the names and select your reader platform from the drop-down menu:
- An Earl for the Archeress
- The Maiden’s Defender
- I have an alter ego on Facebook! Many of you follow my Medieval/Scottish page. Yay! I spend most of my time there chatting with everyone and sharing funny, or inspiring pictures or links related to the Medieval. But because I have a new contemporary cowboy romance series launching in 2022 with Tule Publishing, I’ve started a page specifically for my cowboys! If you want to follow my historical page, or if you read outside of the historical genre and want to follow my cowboys, click your choice below:
- Historical Romance Author Page
- Contemporary Romance Author Page
- Lastly, and with much dismay, my Nora Roberts signing as once again been cancelled. Nora and her staff made the call to cancel signings through the rest of 2020. However, I am assured that their guest authors will be contacted to participate in future signings, so as soon as those are booked, I will, once again, update my newsletter to inform everyone of my new date! Thank you SO much for your understanding. 2020 has been such a weird year!
I’m so pleased to share my brief interview with Author Terri Brisbin! Terri is an award-winning, USA Today best-selling author, a mom, a wife, a grandmom! and a dental hygienist. She has sold more than 3 million copies of her historical and paranormal romance novels and novellas in more than 25 countries and 20 languages around the world. Her current and upcoming historical and paranormal/fantasy romances will be published by Harlequin Historicals and independently, too.
I’m lucky to count her as a friend, and she was wonderful enough to answer a few interview questions about her recent release in the Midsummer Magic series, An Outlaw’s Honor.
1. What inspired you to write Thomas and Annora’s romance?
“When invited to be part of the Midsummer Knights collection and while trying to sort out what kind of couple mine would be (English/Scottish/ French/Irish/etc.), a scandalous scene came to mind that was the germ of the story – Annora’s offered as a prize to the winner of a challenge and she peeks into Thomas’ tent at night and sees something…scandalous! From there, his character came into focus – a mercenary trying to regain titles, lands, honor. Then, as sometimes happens, I look at maps and pick places to use in the story. The wild thing is that, without knowing the details of William of Scotland’s history with Northumberland, I chose a place for Annora’s family that was pivotal in the king’s life – which gave me my story! (I love when that happens!)”
2. Where are your favorite places to travel in the UK, and did any of those places influence your story?
“I love London and the surrounding areas for their rich history and exciting diversity now. Other than the tourist places, I haven’t been to many others, but I loved the scenery I traveled through as I took the train from London to Edinburgh.”
3. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what sorts of music help with your creativity?
“Although it’s changed sometimes, I tend to listen to Celtic music or trad Scottish music while writing… I tried once to listen to music from the time period of my story (Regency London and Scotland) but it slowed my writing to a painful crawl so I went back to Celtic.”
Read about An Outlaw’s Honor and find links to all reader platforms below!
A Dishonorable Man
Thomas Brisbois of Kelso has only one goal when he arrives at the tournament–to defeat the only knight who ever bested him in battle. If he succeeds, the Scottish king will return to him his lands, his honor and his life. He has little interest in other prizes, and even less when he learns that the lord for whom his rival fights has included a daughter among the spoils at stake in their contest– a lovely daughter with no desire to play the pawn, or to see her father’s champion win. She is a distraction, all the more after she explains her own ideas about which knight shall have her, and how and when.
A Desperate Woman
Annora may be a pawn in her father’s plans but she has no intention of letting that happen without a fight of her own. When she sees the frank desire in Thomas’ gaze for her, she makes her own offer—she’ll help him win if he’ll let her go. . . after he beds her. Her plans go awry when she discovers the truth of the man beneath the armor. The man who had lost everything and struggles to regain his life.
Only the ultimate tournament battle will reveal if she’s made the biggest mistake of her life or if she’s found the answer to all her problems in trusting an outlaw’s honor.
- Find copies for all reader platforms by clicking here.
- Visit www.terribrisbin.com for more info about Terri, her works and upcoming events.
Happy reading, all! I hope you all continue to stay safe, healthy, and I’ll see you next month!